Wouldn’t it be great to find a place where our daily woes can take a backseat, even if just for a little while?
Each year on Labor Day Weekend in Downtown Atlanta, Dragon Con casts a spell that changes our reality.
What is Dragon Con?
Dragon Con is the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction & fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the universe.
The convention is organized for fans, and features more than about 3,000 hours of comics, film, television, costuming, art, music and gaming over four days.
Varied fandoms swarm upon five huge four-star hotels in downtown Atlanta, Georgia to embrace their fandoms and get their freak on.
Interview with Dan Carroll
This week, we had the pleasure of talking with Dan Carroll, Director of Media Relations (@DragonConMedia) at Dragon Con. He explains in detail what makes Dragon Con a unique experience, and how the focus on fans has made it the top event to attend for discerning geeks all over the universe.
He shares a wealth of information about what attendees can expect this year, offers some tips to enhance your experience at Dragon Con, and shares some great personal stories about past years at Dragon Con.
Why You Should Be There
Thousands had gathered to bond with others over their shared fandoms, and to explore more about topics that they were passionate about. By the end of the weekend, I was hooked. I knew I’d be back next year. In fact, I purchased my attendee membership for this years Dragon Con before I left last year’s event!
In our daily lives, we see divisive lines drawn between people that are of different ethnicities, political factions, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations. This is NOT something you will see at Dragon Con.
People from all walks of life unite for four days of camaraderie.
Whether you’d like to experience the chance to talk with some of your favorite celebrities, show off your cosplay creations, attend panels for television shows like “The Walking Dead,” or purchase original artwork from world-renowned artists, you can do that and so much more at Dragon Con.
Attending fan panels is a great way to interact with others that share your passion for a favorite television show, movie franchise, comic, or interest. This year, Ryan has the honor of being a panelist on the Helix Fan Panel (“Ice breaker” at 10AM Sunday). It’s early for Dragon Con but we hope to see you there! It’s a chance for Ryan and I to meet other Helix fans in person and have great discussions about why we love the show, conspiracy theories, science talk and much more.
Attendees have unending opportunities to embrace their fandom of choice, discover new worlds and connect with other geeks from around the world.
Quick Facts about Dragon Con:
- This year marks the 28th Dragon Con convention.
- More than 62,000 attendees are expected this year.
- Since 2005, Dragon*Con has raised more $311,000 for its official charities, which change each year.
- Members and guests can also participate in panels, workshops, and contests hosted by more than 35 different fandoms
covering everything from science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, science, literature, puppetry and film.
- Workshops give attendees a chance to work closely with experts on writing, tai chi, belly dancing, special effects, and costuming.
- Other programming events include live concerts, puppet shows, late night parties, DJ hosted dances and Friday Night Wrestling.
- Dragon Con is also proud to host the largest and most diverse juried art event in fandom, as well as a four-day film festival.
Important Links – Learn More About Dragon Con:
- dragoncon.org – Dragon Con official website
- mediarelations.dragoncon.org – Dragon Con Media Relations
Connect and Interact With Us!
Let us know what you think about this episode of the Helix Podcast, as well as the interview with Dan Carroll from Dragon Con! If you are attending Dragon Con, please reach out! We’d love to hang out with fellow Vectors and new Helix fans (as well as fans of Star Wars, Horror, Battlestar Galactica, Warehouse 13, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Batman (Gotham), Continuum, X-Files and a bunch of comic books).
There are several ways to talk with us!
- Leave us a comment, question, or suggestion below
- Leave us a listener voicemail by clicking the button at the top right of this screen. We may use your voicemail on the show!
- Send an email to: feedback [at] helixpodcast [dot] com
- Follow and interact with @helixpodcast on Twitter!
- Visit, like, and interact on our Facebook Page